Friday, September 9, 2011

Friday - Wrap it up for the Weekend!

Another Friday has rolled around which means the weekend will soon be upon us. I've been focusing myself a lot more lately on having a work schedule and getting more organized.

For Fridays, that means wrapping up projects from the week and tidying up the house for the weekend. Since I won't be able to finish all of the projects I have started this week (and previous weeks) in one day, I think it is important to store all of the materials that I have gathered for those projects in one location so they are ready to pick up and finish next week.

Depending on the size of the projects you might be able to use folders, baggies, or plastic containers. Just make sure that you can store things and not squish materials that don't need to be squished.

I have other projects started that don't really need their own container, so they will just be stored and not containerized. I also have a dedicated cabinet for unfinished projects. The cabinet gives me a definitive space for unfinished projects and requires me to fit all of the unfinished projects in one space. Therefore, I can't start a new project until I have space to store it.

If I find that I have too many to fit, and I really want to start something new, then it is time to re-evaluate some of the unfinished projects. I will ask myself why I haven't finished these? What is holding me back? Is it likely that I will finish the projects soon? Do I have all of the supplies to finish the projects?

Often times there are projects that I started, that just didn't work out the way I hoped. For these I really must decide if I am going to finish them, or if they are just not going to happen. Often these unfinished projects are taking up valuable real estate in my creative brain, so getting rid of the ones that aren't going to be finished frees up space for me to come up with new ideas.

No comments: