Friday, February 1, 2013

Product Photos - Tools for the amature ... or budding photographer perhaps!

So, I was all excited last August when I got a new fancy camera!  It is a Canon Rebel DSLR and it was replacing my 7-year old Canon point and shoot.  I was a little overwhelmed, so I met up with a friend that I hadn't seen in 20 years (since high school!) who was a professional photographer.  It was a great morning!  Great to catch up with an old friend, and also great to go over all of my camera settings.

Kevin was a great teacher, so I have to give a big shout out and thank you to him!!  You can see his work on his facebook page - Kevin M. James 

Unfortunately a new camera didn't solve all of my photography woes.  It certainly improved them, but not quite to the point that I wanted to get to.  I needed lighting and I needed a better setting.

I started out purchasing a fake floor mat on Amazon.  I decided on it because it was heavier than just the vinyl ones that are used as back drops.  But, at 23 inches x 34 inches it fell short when I was photographing larger magnet boards.  I also invested in some lights, stands, and a white backdrop - also from Amazon - and they really help on those darker days in my house.

So my new fake floor arrived today!!  It is 4 feet x 5 feet - plenty large enough for what I needed.  Actually I could have used 2 feet x 5 feet, but that size wasn't available.

Here is a photo grouping on of the fake floors - so you know what I am talking about!


 And here is the result!  I LOVE LOVE LOVE what is going to happen with my pictures!! 




No comments: