Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fabric Storage



I have struggled with fabric storage for years now.  I have tried it in bags, in bins various ways, stacked by color, stacked by amount, folded in bins ... you get the picture.  Well, I have finally come up with a system that is working for me and I have been able to easily use it and maintain it over the last few months.  So, I thought it was time to share.

I am now storing fabric in bins, but rolled up.  Rolling the fabric is a much more efficient use of space, and when you have enough rolls to fill up a bin it is actually easy to remove and put back as the other rolls stay in their places.

Each Monday I take out the rolls of fabric that I will be working with for the next 4-10 days depending on how many orders I have.  Once I am finished I simply roll them back up and return them to their spaces.

I have them in separate bins depending on how much of a fabric I have.  One bin is dedicated to the fabric I have more than one yard of and are listed on my fabrics available page.  The second bin holds fabric that I don't have as much of but I will be using in the future.  I have finally managed to part with fabrics that I don't love, and were not popular.

Whew!  That was a lot of work! 

I am really happy that I don't have stacks falling over, and visually I can see each fabric that I have with out digging!

And, the bins fit neatly in my cabinet!

No comments: